ALL ABOARD! Last November, “Day Out With Thomas” presented by Mattel drew 30,000 visitors to Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, California, and is now returning again this Spring to delight more in “Big Adventures Tour 2018”! Train enthusiasts can get an up-close-and-personal look at Thomas the Tank Engine and his best friend Percy for four days in April (7th, 8th, 14th and 15th)! A ticket for “Day Out With Thomas” includes a 20-minute train ride with Thomas, photo ops with Sir Topham Hatt, storytelling with video viewing, an Imagination Station with arts & crafts, temporary tattoos of Island of Sodor friends, a petting zoo, bounce houses, live children’s music, sing-a-longs, train tables for building activities, and more. Children are invited to collect passport stamps throughout the day to receive a special gift. There will also be street car and trolley rides and an entire museum to explore. It is an all day event! The tour, now in its 23rd year, will make 42 stops across the U.S. and Canada and is expected to welcome nearly one million passengers in 2018.
- A ride with Thomas and/or Percy
- Interactive story time and photo opportunity with talking Percy engine
- A Meet & Greet with Sir Topham Hatt, Controller of the Railway
- A Thomas & Friends Imagination Station featuring a variety of activities
- A ‘Passport to Adventures’ booklet for children to track their journey at the event and receive a special prize upon completion
- Thomas & Friends-themed activities including crafts, photo ops, giveaways, and more
- Storytelling, video viewing, live music and entertainment
“A visit to the Orange Empire Railway Museum is a trip back in time to when trains, conductors, whistles, bells and steam were a part of the way we traveled.”
Review & Tips
“The FAQs for the event advised that you arrive an hour prior to train boarding time. It made sense once we got to the Orange Empire Railway Museum, where the event took place. Even though we had early tickets, the parking lot was already full and we were guided to alternate parking. We didn’t mind walking a little farther though because parking was free. Once we got inside the venue, there was a ton of stuff for the kids to do. When you arrive, make sure you grab a map for each of the kids. As you visit a designated area, they stamp the map and when you get four stamps, the kids can get a small souvenir. Although riding Thomas the Train was a highlight, we we didn’t limit ourselves to just riding Thomas. We also rode on the Los Angeles Railway streetcar, known as the Yellow Cars and a 1950s Southern Pacific freight car. Afterwards we visited the Train Museum and got to see a real steam locomotive up close. Finally, we ended the day by visiting the Imagination Station. My kids weren’t into the crafts but they loved all the train tables that were set up. By then, the crowds started getting thicker and we knew it was time to go home.” – Lisa Chinn
Day Out With Thomas 2018
April 7th, 8th, 14th and 15th
(866) 468-7630 or (951) 943-3020
Ticket prices range from $16.00 to $25.00 for ages two and older (service charges and fees may apply). Families should arrive no later than one hour prior to scheduled departure. Military discounts are available. The Orange Empire Railway Museum is a non-profit organization. It is home to a collection of historic and vintage railway equipment and artifacts. The 100-acre campus is home to many annual events. Memberships are available as well as volunteer opportunities.
HOW TO GET THERE:
- From the West (Los Angeles): Take I-10 east or Route 60 east or Route 91 east to I-215. Take the I-215 South to Perris. In Perris exit Route 74 West. Follow Route 74/4th Street west or 1 mile. Turn left onto A Street. Follow A Street south for 1.5 miles. Museum parking is on your left.
- From the North (San Bernardino, Riverside): Take I-215 south to Perris. In Perris, take the exit to Route 74 West. Follow Route 74/4th Street west for 1 mile. Turn left onto A Street. Follow A Street south for 1.5 miles. The Museum parking is on your left.
- From the South (San Diego): Take the I-15 north to I-215 north. Follow I-215 north to Perris. In Perris, exit Route 74 West. Follow Route 74/4th Street west for 1 mile. Turn left onto A Street. Take A Street south 1.5 miles. Museum parking is on your left.
One LET’S PLAY OC! reader will win this prize. Winner will provide top three desired dates and times. The Railroad will try their best to fulfill the tickets in a timely manner. Please enter below for a chance to win!
US Residents Only. No purchase necessary to enter. All readers have an equal chance to win, however, you must enter to win. A winner will be randomly selected via RaffleCopter and notified via email. I will attempt to contact the winner for 3 days. If the winner cannot be reached by email, a new winner will be selected the same way. There are several different ways to earn entries. One prize per household. The winner will receive, free of charge, the prize mentioned above. This prize is not available for exchanges. Prizes are not transferable or refundable and must be accepted as awarded. The winner is responsible for any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. Not liable for unclaimed prizes or fulfillment. As per the sponsor, winners are eligible if they have not won free tickets the previous year or for other railway museum events within a year.