If you’re looking for a family-friendly Halloween event this year that’s not super scary, Friends of Santa Ana Zoo and BPO Elks Santa Ana Lodge #794 are hosting their 27th annual BOO AT THE ZOO located at the Santa Ana Zoo, “Home of the 50 Monkeys”! It is one of Orange County’s longest-running Halloween events, providing a fun, safe, and family-friendly event for trick-or-treaters and children of all ages. We went a few years with other family members, and we loved it! The event takes place from 5:30 PM to 8 PM on these four dates: Saturday, October 21; Sunday, October 22; Saturday, October 28; and Sunday, October 29, rain or shine.
- Explore 10 stations on their Trick-or-Treat Trail,
- Enjoy a variety of Halloween-themed games and activities including storytelling and sing-alongs,
- Animal presentations,
- Visit nocturnal animals,
- Bug Hut,
- Nocturnal Animal Cart,
- Photo ops,
- Participate in nightly costume parade led by SAZOO (their monkey mascot),
- Ride their spooky but not super spooky “Boofari” Express Train, and
- Be merry and go round on the Conservation Carrousel.
For those who are a little older and more adventurous, Boo at the Zoo will once again have a separate area for their “Teen Scream” haunted house (included in the regular price of admission).
They are raising funds for their upcoming Giant River Otter Habitat.
- Food is available for purchase at the Front Lawn. (Cash Only)
- Animal Presentations at the Conservation Education Theater (CET): 6:00pm, 6:30pm, 7:00pm
- Costume Parade featuring SAZoo! at the Zoo Entrance at 7:30pm. All participants get a prize!
- Dr. Sue’s Bug Hut at Exploration Outpost
- Nocturnal Animal Cart at Goat Yard – Family Farm
- Storytelling at the RRES Family Farm
- Teen Scream Haunted House recommended for ages 13+ at the Amphitheatre
- 10 stations for Trick-or-Treat Trail will include a variety of toys, books, snacks, and candy.
- Train & Carrousel tickets are available for purchase at the Depot.
- Photo Op by the AAZK Exploration Outpost (Cash Only)
BOO AT THE ZOO!
- Saturday, October 21, 2017 (5:30 PM – 8 PM)
- Sunday, October 22, 2017 (5:30 PM – 8 PM)
- Saturday, October 28, 2017 (5:30 PM – 8 PM)
- Sunday, October 29, 2017 (5:30 PM – 8 PM)
Santa Ana Zoo(Located in Prentice Park)1801 Chestnut AvenueSanta Ana, CA714-836-4000 or (714) 953-8555www.santaanazoo.org
General Admission is $19.95 per non-member ages 2 and up, and only $9.95 per ZooMember ages 2 and up. Bonus: Children under the age of 2 are free. Join as a Member to receive your half price tickets! “Boo”fari Express Train and Carrousel rides will be available for an extra charge. Hot dogs, chips and soda will also be available for purchase nightly provided by the Tustin-Santa Ana Rotary Club, Zoo Docents, and Knowlwood Restaurant. To avoid the lines, admissions are now available online (valid any night of the event, nonrefundable – bring your receipt to Will Call on the night of the event). You can also purchase admissions at the main gate on the night of the event. Rain or shine.
The Santa Ana Zoo is home to more than 260 animals, including 60 of the most interesting and engaging monkeys and several endangered species, like the golden lion tamarins.