It is that time of year again to celebrate the wonderful educators in our lives. It is usually the Tuesday of the first full week in May. Some dedicated creative classroom moms will organize a week-long celebration to shower our beloved teachers together as a group with a set budget. Sometimes we are not so lucky and will have to figure it out on our own. I always have the hardest time finding a gift for the teachers and their assistants (we have a lot). They work really hard all year round with my children, and I never feel like what I give them is enough. If I could, I would give them more than a $5-$10 gift card per person (which easily ends up being around $100 for everyone in my case) – YIKES! If you ask most teachers, they will tell you it is the thought that counts, and they’ll appreciate anything, but I try not to give them something they can’t use. I like to be practical so here are my go-to gifts:
- If they love coffee,
- a gift card to Starbucks or Coffee Bean
- with a coffee mug (optional),
- If they like books or crafts,
- a gift card to Michael’s or Hobby Lobby, Target, Walmart, or Barnes & Noble,
- If they have a sweet tooth,
- gift card to Yogurtland, Baskin Robbins, or See’s Candies,
- If they love the movies,
- then movie tickets with popcorn, or
- If they like hand soap or candles,
- Bath and Body Works have an easy return/exchange policy
- They also have a nice selection at Target or Walmart.
I know gift cards can be boring but it keeps me within budget, and they can buy whatever they want. If there are a lot to buy for, I usually get a group gift like a box of chocolates, donuts, a cake, cupcakes or cookies for the class, and one novelty gift for the teacher. One year as a gift from the class, we collected enough to get our teacher a spa gift certificate. (Everyone had to pitch in $5 per family which is reasonable and doable). This year I’m going to try being creative. I’ll check Pinterest boards for ideas and crafts. If I don’t like what I make, I’ll go back to Plan A (gift cards mentioned above). Want to see what I found on Pinterest? Check out my board below! I want to know, what’s your favorite Teacher Appreciation Gifts to thank the wonderful role models in your child’s life?