Holidays in Los Angeles and Orange County is the most wondrous time of the year with so much to see and so much do! It may be because it doesn’t snow or get terribly cold so we are always searching for all the Christmas feels. If you are in the Hollywood area, you don’t have to drive very far to enjoy all the festivities at Universal City. Universal Studios will surely brighten up the season with all things Grinchmas and a whimsical and celebratory tree lighting ceremony. With the new release of the film, “The Grinch”, the timing is just perfect. Harry Potter brings us “Christmas in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter” with light shows, surprise snow falls, hot butterbeer and more! If you’re not going into the park, you can still enjoy all the decorations and live entertainment at Universal CityWalk and nightly appearances by Santa Claus next to the 40-foot Christmas tree. Maybe that’s the place to go if you want to catch the film then make it a date night and stay for dinner. More details below!
“Christmas in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter”
November 17 – January 6
- NEW! Guests can experience glistening snowfallat night. Multiple snowfalls begin at 5:15 pm.
- Hogwarts castle transforms into a dazzling light projection spectacular and the quaint town of Hogsmeade village shines brightly with décor uniquely themed to each of the individual storefronts.
- Newly introduced holiday-themed fare and hot Butterbeer will further complement the overall experience.
- The annual holiday reunites the a cappella Frog Choir, comprised of Hogwarts students and their giant throaty frogs, who return to entertain guests with their harmonized holiday themed songs.
- Collectible merchandise including a variety of decorative Hogwarts castle snow globes, Hogwarts crest and mascot ornaments representing each of the houses, as well as a collection of unique tree toppers and house pennant garland.
- A wide selection of custom-made Christmas ornaments created especially for the Wizarding World.
- “The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle” will illuminate Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with colorful imagery and impressive dimensional animations that dance across Hogwarts castle in tandem to a musical arrangement from the Harry Potter movies. Nightly at 5:40pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm and 7:00pm (times may vary each night)
December 1-2 & 8-9, and daily from December 14 – December 30
- Universal Plaza, the grand piazza at the heart of the theme park, will once again serve as the backdrop for the “Grinchmas” event where the towering 60 foot tall whimsical “Grinchmas” tree will beautifully twist and spiral as the ideal photo opp for guests.
- Guest can join the Who-lebration and meet The Grinch, his faithful dog Max and a roster of Who-ville Whos.
- Martha May Who-vier and the Who Dolls will take center stage performing energetic musical sets to usher in the Christmas season in style.
- The Who-liday Singers—a hip boy-band ensemble will perform a cappella concerts featuring a mix of Christmas favorites and pop rock.
- Cindy-Lou Who and her Who friends will gather guests of all ages – tall and small – for an engaging storytelling show of Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Universal Studios Holidays was special to us this year because my kids are excited to see “The Grinch” movie. Various characters from Whoville are walking around the plaza for photo ops. There you will also find the Grinch and Max, his dog. It’s the place to be with live entertainment while you wait to meet your favorite character from Whoville. For more information like hours and other attractions at Universal Studios, please visit their website.
Universal Studios Hollywood
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA