Disclosure: This is a sponsored post for Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel. Opinions are my own.
There are millions of mixed-breed dog owners across the U.S. that will need help finding reliable breed ancestry information to properly care for their 4-legged friend. Information such as nutrition, training, and overall healthcare could help owners understand what their dog needs, and in some cases, could save their lives. Introducing Wisdom Panel® 3.0, the next evolution for canine DNA testing. This unique program developed by Mars Veterinary, the industry leader in canine genetic testing, will expand breed screening coverage, as well as, the medical applications with the new MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening.
“MDR1 or Multi-Drug Resistance 1 is a genetic mutation found in some herding and sighthound breeds, as well as many mixed-breed dogs. The MDR1 gene is responsible for production of a protein called P-glycoprotein. The P-glycoprotein molecule is a drug transport pump that plays an important role in limiting drug absorption and distribution (particularly to the brain) and enhancing the excretion/elimination of many drugs used in dogs. Dogs with the MDR1-mutation may have severe adverse reactions to some common drugs, so it is important to test mixed-breed (and purebreds with the high-propensity breeds) dogs and for owners to share results with their veterinarian so they can provide the dog with for the best possible care. For more information on breeds and drugs affected by the MDR1 mutation, please visit www.wisdompanel.com/MDR1_Disease_Screening.”
Wisdom Panel® 3.0:
Not only will Wisdom Panel provide ancestry information back to the great-grandparent level, it will also predict weight profile and more!
- Covers 250+ breeds, types and varieties including all those recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) and can be run for mixed-breed, designer, or purebred dogs.
- Can be done at home and consists of two swabs that the owner rubs between the gum and the cheek for 15 seconds to collect skin cells for DNA extraction.
- Provide MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening results.
- Results will take approximately 2-3 weeks from the time the test reaches the lab.
- Can be run for mixed-breed, purebred and designer dogs. (The owner chooses at the time of kit activation.)
Commonly asked questions:
Q: How accurate is Wisdom Panel® 3.0?
A: Wisdom Panel does not offer a guaranteed accuracy level, however if a good, clean sample is obtained—dog does not share any food/toys/water with any other dogs prior to testing and doesn’t eat any food/treats—accuracy can be about 90%.
Q: How long does it take to receive results?
A: It normally takes 2-3 weeks from the time a sample is received for the genetic testing and analysis to be completed.
Q: What’s the benefit to using Wisdom Panel® 3.0?
A: Benefits of DNA testing your dog include:
- Screening for the MDR1 genetic mutation and determining potential risk for adverse reactions to some common drugs. A better understanding of your dog’s natural behavior tendencies to help with training.
- Providing him with tailored nutrition based on any needs associated with their breed(s).
- Assisting in determining what the size of your dog might be if he is a puppy or a healthy weight range if already full grown.
- Allowing you to be proactive about any health concerns or common issues associated with the breeds found in your dog.
Wisdom Panel® 3.0 Canine DNA Test Kit includes:
- DNA cheek swabs – all for use on one dog
- Drying insert for swabs
- Pre-paid return shipping box
Please visit www.WisdomPanel.com for more information or to purchase a kit.
Wisdom Panel will be at the following events to share more information about Wisdom Panel® 3.0 and educate on the benefits of Canine DNA testing:
- April 10-12: America’s Family Pet Expo in Costa Mesa, CA – no swabbing
- June 4-7: GoPRO Mountain Games in Vail, CO – swabbing
- August 1: Amazing Pet Expo in Austin, TX – swabbing
- TBD October: Mars Pet Adoption Fair in Franklin, TN – swabbing
- December 5: Amazing Pet Expo Holiday in Pomona, CA – swabbing
Consumers can swab onsite at event for a discounted price of $39.99. Take home kits are available for purchase at a discounted price of $49.99 (MSRP $84.99).
For more information, product discounts, or event updates about Wisdom Panel, please visit their website at www.wisdompanel.com or follow them on these social channels: facebook.com/DoggieDNA, Twitter Twitter @WisdomPanel, Instagram @WisdomPanel, or pinterest.com/WisdomPanel/.