Ever see milk boxes just sitting in the middle of the grocery stores wondering, “Why aren’t they in the coolers? Is it safe??” Well, June is Dairy Month, and I received some samples of Tetra Pak‘s shelf safe milk to try with my family. You might want to also enter the photo contest below for a chance to win a month’s supply.
|Milk Unleashed Cow. Photo by LetsPlayOC.com|
I was really surprised to learn that they carry so many brands that we already love and no refrigeration is needed until it’s open.
How is it possible? Keep reading…
If you feel it’s important to offer milk in your child’s lunch boxes, now you can. The milk is flash-heated at high temperatures (ultra-pasteurization) to eliminate bacteria and then put into Tetra Pak shelf safe cartons aka UHT or Ultra High Temperature milk. This protects the milk from air, light and other contaminants. It’s Grade A milk that doesn’t require refrigeration until it’s opened (no preservatives added). Single-serving milk boxes (similar to juice boxes) can be stored in the pantry for six months to nine months without refrigeration. Note: the UHT process is also used for fruit juice boxes, cream, soy milk, wine, soups and broths.
Milk Unleashed is a campaign by Tetra Pak to educate consumers about shelf safe milk as well as offering solutions when families are on the go. It offers a convenient and healthy way to get the nutrition from milk on car trips, while camping, at the park and even at the beach.
According to the Journal of Pediatrics, dairy and calcium intakes are inadequate in most four- to 18-year-olds. A carton (8 oz.) of shelf safe milk has eight grams of protein and nine essential nutrients making it easy to substitute a healthy beverage choice when you’re away from home, anytime, anywhere.
TIP: Freeze a few cartons the night before and toss into a sports bag, picnic basket or cooler, and it will be the right temperature when you’re ready to drink it.
Want to celebrate Dairy Month in June? Here are a few ways:
- Read about how milk can become shelf safe. Check out some tips for getting kids to drink more milk.
- Download a Cow Calendar with fun facts about dairy cow.
- Enter “Where is your Milk Unleashed?” photo contest (see below) and show an unlikely place your family enjoys shelf safe milk. You could win a month’s worth of shelf safe milk.
- Engage with moms who are sharing ways to improve their kids’ nutrition.
- Try some of these fun, family adventures…like a cereal picnic!
- Learn how moms can help moms in developing countries around the world get milk for their children.
- See all the types of shelf safe milk available in your local grocery (Hershey’s, TruMoo, Horizon Organic, Borden, Organic Valley, LALA, Store Brands, and Cow Wow Cereal Milk).
All the tips mentioned above can be found here at www.milkunleashed.com.
These were the samples we received and my kids can’t stop grabbing them. Hands off! The strawberry and white chocolate are mine!
Which one do you want to try?
# # #
Tetra Pak is the world’s leading food processing and packaging solutions company, providing safe, innovative and environmentally sound products that each day meet the needs of hundreds of millions of people in more than 170 countries around the world. Our motto, “PROTECTS WHAT’S GOOD™,” reflects our vision to make food safe and available, everywhere. In 2012, Tetra Pak launched Milk Unleashed, an educational campaign in the U.S. and Canada to inform families about shelf safe milk and how they can have real, Grade A nutritious milk, anytime, anywhere. milkunleashed.com |@milkunleashed| facebook.com/milkunleashed
Disclosure: I received some samples for my family and to share a review with my readers. All opinions are my own.