This special evening is an opportunity for children and their parents/siblings/caretakers to have some fun in an autism-friendly environment along with other families. Many of our community partners who specialize in supporting children on the autism spectrum or with Pervasive Developmental Disorders Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) will be on-hand to enrich your family’s play experience with welcoming smiles and practical support.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 27TH: CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING!
TIME: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Not only is Thanksgiving known for pilgrims, history and turkey, it’s also known for giving thanks! Let’s focus on everything that we are thankful for and celebrate family, friends, and the holiday that brings everyone together through these fun activities:
- Sensational Story Time – “Gobble gobble” up these books every hour on the hour for a Thanksgiving treat! From hilarious turkeys to holiday history, your children will learn and engage.
- Listen & Learn – Join us to Do The Turkey Pokey and learn about the farm in these fun listen and learn music and movement times.
- Cooking Up Cultures – Your little ones are bound to gobble up these turkey treats! This edible activity will make a fun table decoration or desert.
- Smart Art – Give thanks in the art studio this special day by participating in these lively and creative Thanksgiving art activities:
- Thankful Tree – Help your little one create their “leaf of thanks” and add it to our Thankful Tree. See what others in your community are thankful for.
- Handmade Turkeys – Whether your child chooses the messy or the clean cut turkey, this handmade project is bound to be a keepsake. Make one each year to begin a holiday tradition. See how the turkey changes each year to capture your child’s growth.
- Symbols in a Second – Cornucopias are a well known symbol for this holiday. But why? What is the meaning behind the cornucopia? Come find out during this colorful art project.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 28TH – PRETEND CITY IS CLOSED IN HONOR OF THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 29TH: HANUKKAH CELEBRATION KICK-OFF!
Happy Hanukkah! This is a special time of celebration and learning. Come and learn more about many of the symbols associated with Hanukkah. Through engaging activities that are sure to have your little ones delighted while wanting to learn more about this special holiday. Activities include:
- 11:00 AM – Cooking Up Cultures: Edible Menorah – Join us to create one of the symbols of Hanukkah the menorah! This edible delight will teach you all about the blessing associated with the lighting of the 8 candles, the purpose of the number of candles, and the special shammash candle.
- 1:00 PM – Let’s Move: Lots of Latkes – Use your hand eye coordination as you throw your latkes in the air during this fun fitness music and movement time!
- 3:00 PM – Good to Go Game: Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel – The dreidel is painted with letters, gimel, hey, nun, and shin which are written on the sides. Learn and play this traditional game while your youngster works on cognitive skills including counting, symbol identification and following commands.
- Art Studio – Colorful Cultures: Smart Art Star of David – Use your creativity and test your knowledge of this illuminous holiday to make your very own Star of David ornament.