‘Tis the season to be jolly and spread good cheer. My kids are at the perfect age to explore both old and new traditions. Here are some highlights at Pretend City this month PLUS enter my giveaway below!
Now through December 23rd: Donate an unwrapped toy valued $5 or greater and receive one free admission! Donations benefit CHOC Children’s Hospital.
Time: Approximately 12 p.m. (11:45 am – 12:15 pm)
Join Santa Claus and his Harley friends as they come into the city for some “deck-the-halls” fun and excitement. Pretend City invites children and families to participate in its annual CHOC Toy Drive as a great way to help another child and demonstrate the importance of giving.
Santa Claus and 40 Orange Coast Harley Owners Group (H.O.G.) Chapter members will ride up with Christmas cheer to Pretend City on their bikes to collect toy donations. Santa and his Harley buddies hope to collect enough toys for the children at CHOC to last throughout the end of 2014 on their final pick-up stop at Pretend City.
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Families are invited to celebrate the first day of this nine-day Mexican Christmas celebration. Through special activities and events, your children will have a better understanding of the history of this celebration in which so many families partake.
Visit the art studio today to make sure that you are prepared to continue celebrating Las Posadas in your very own home by making these colorful holiday mementos:
- Posada Piñata Ornaments
- Posada Placemat
- Luminaria Path
- December 17: 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- December 18: 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (NOTE: There is a 1-hour lunch break for Santa on this date from 12-1pm)
- December 19: 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Thursday, December 26 – Monday, December 30: Festival of Kwanzaa
Daily activities will introduce your children to the seven symbols of Kwanzaa.
Time: Sunday 10:30 a.m.; Monday – Thursday 11:00 a.m.
Kwanzaa stands for “first fruits of the harvest” and there are so many fun things to do during this celebration! Each day, children will have the opportunity to participate in lighting another candle on the Kinara, which reflects the seven principles of Kwanzaa’s foundation. Celebrate the Kwanzaa principle of the day through a variety of activities including: working at the family stand, making gifts for family and friends, playing African games, and even having a “feast”! Celebrants will use traditional colors as well as African textiles to create smart art activities.
- Thursday, December 26 – Corncob Canvas
- Friday, December 27 – Kwanzaa Necklace
- Saturday, December 28 – Kwanzaa Candle
- Sunday, December 29 – Magnificent Mkeka
- Monday, December 30 – Hand print Kinara
Time: Monday – Friday 3:30 p.m.; Saturday & Sunday 2:30 p.m.
These handmade items will last a lifetime and help your family identify with the African values that make up this holiday celebration:
- Thursday, December 26 – Kinara Creations
- Friday, December 27 – Unique Unity Cups
- Saturday, December 28 – Gifts from the Heart
- Sunday, December 29 – Kwanzaa Bowl
- Monday, December 30 – African Animal Necklace
Tuesday, December 31: Annual Noon Year’s Party!
Join in on the early New Year fun without losing sleep.
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Twas’ the day before New Year’s and all through the city, the citizens were…celebrating! With sparkling streamers and festive party hats to kick off 2014, this is one party you won’t want to miss. Activities include:
- Sensational Story Time: Twas’ the Night Before New Year’s – See if your little can find some inspiration to stay awake until the strike of the New Year through this featured storybook.
- Smart Art: New Year’s Resolutions – Create a family New Year’s resolution with this colorful art project. What promise will you make to your family to be better and help others?
- Music & Movement: New Year’s Eve Countdown – This countdown is for children as we ring in the Noon Year with a special rockin’ and rollin’ dance party! Streamers, blowouts, and noisemakers will make this the party of all parties for your little ones!
Open to U.S. Residence. No purchase necessary to enter. All fans have an equal chance to win, however, you must enter to win. A winner will be randomly selected via RaffleCopter and notified via email. No cash value. Winner will have 72 hours to claim their prize or a new winner will be selected the same way. Several different ways to earn entries (some can be done daily). Not liable for unclaimed prizes or fulfillment. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs.
What event will you be checking out this month?