Welcome to Part II of our Santa Catalina Island Adventures! We
just got back from an eventful getaway exploring the beautiful Avalon,
California. We were super active and loved every minute. Here’s how you
too can maximize two-full days in Catalina with children.
Note: We departed from Downtown Long Beach with Catalina Express. This is written from our personal experiences and for entertainment purposes only. Activity times are accurate at time of publishing and could change without notice. Please check ahead for most updated information.
*Note: This time will vary depending on what port you depart from.
- 7:30 am* … Arrive at Long Beach Downtown Catalina Landing. 320 Golden Shore, Long Beach, CA; (562) 216-1666 Note: Arriving at least one hour before departure allowed time for parking, checking in with Catalina Express, and ready for boarding). Reservations are held until 15 minutes prior to departure.
- 8:30 am* … Departed Long Beach. (Approximately 1 hour ride.)*
- 9:30 am* … Approximate Arrival Time at Avalon, Catalina from Long Beach Downtown Catalina Landing.
- 10:00 am … Check into Hotel. We stayed at Pavilion Hotel and loved the amenities and service. Someone was there to greet us at the terminal, took our luggage, and showed us the way as we took a short walk to our centrally located hotel. Our room was not ready (check-in time is 3pm), but they allowed us to check our luggage, and freshen-up in their changing rooms (yes, changing rooms!). Since they were still serving complimentary continental breakfast until 10:30 am, we had breakfast too! Pavilion Hotel is located at 513 Crescent Avenue in Avalon, California. (310) 778-8322. More inside info about this later!
- 10:15 am … Breakfast. (1 hour)
- 11:30 am … Changed/freshened up.
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm … Activity #1: Miniature Golf at Golf Gardens. (1-2 hours)10 Island Plaza, Avalon, CA. (310) 510-1200Note: This was literally around the corner from our Hotel. This is also where we checked into for our next tour with East End Adventure.
- 1:45 pm … Activity #2: Arrive in line at East End Adventure for our Hummer Tour which starts at 2 pm. (15 min)10 Island Plaza, Avalon, CA; (310) 510-1200
- 2:00 – 4:00 pm … Went on an off-road excursion of Santa Catalina Island with East End Adventure. (2 hours)Note: Bring a jacket. It can get chilly on the way down. They provide blankets to share and water.
- 4:30 pm … Early Dinner at Bluewater Avalon. (1 hour)306 Crescent Ave, Avalon, CA; (310) 510-3474Their Lemon Pepper Mahi Mahi is delicious! Note: Because we had brunch around 10:30 am, we were all hungry after our tour. We enjoyed an early seafood dinner with breathtaking views.
- 7:00 am … Breakfast. (1 hour) (Pavilion Hotel serves a complimentary continental breakfast until 10:30 am.)
- 8:00 am … Check-out. Note: Check-out times are at 11 am, however, there are a limited amount of rooms they allow for late check outs. Tip: Call as early as possible in the morning for late check-out requests. Because we were not sure if we would make it back in time from our tour, we went ahead and checked out. Remember, our hotel also have changing rooms with showers, and Bell Service to hold our luggage. Love that they offer this!
- 8:30 am … Check into Activity #3: Kayaking Adventure with Descanso Beach Ocean Sports. Tip: Wear wet suits. Changing rooms, lockers, and restrooms are available close-by. Note: Our tour to Frog Rock didn’t start until 9:00 am, but we had to fill-out forms and sign waivers. It is a short 15 minute walk from where we stayed and we had to walk passed the Catalina Casino. Ours was a 2 hour eco tour but they offer different tours. We saw various sea animals and leopard sharks!
- 9:00 am – 11:00 am … Eco Kayaking Tour with Descanso Beach Ocean Sports. (1-2 hours)5 Descanso Ave, Avalon, CA; (310) 510-1226. Located at Descanso Beach Club. They provide everything including paddle wear. Coming Soon – Where we found Leopard Sharks!
- 11 am … Changed/freshened up. Instructed Bell Service to take luggage up to Boat Terminal. This was a complimentary service with our hotel!
- 12:00 pm … Lunch at Luau Larry’s. (1 hour)509 Crescent Ave, Avalon, CA; (310) 510-1919Try their Turtle Wings (chicken wings with Teriyaki glaze), Buffalo Milk (contains alcohol), and Buffalo Burger!
- 1:00 pm … Activity #4: Golf Cart Tour with Catalina Auto and Bike Rentals. (1-2 hours)Note: Full-sized vehicles are restricted on the island. Main form of transportation on the island is golf carts! There are two locations. This is a self-guided tour around Avalon. They provide the map and routes. Small children may need car seats (not provided).
- 3:10 pm … Pick-up Luggage from Boat Terminal. Loved that Pavilion Hotel took it up there for us!
- 3:15 pm … Arrive in line to board Catalina Express.
- 3:45 pm* … Departed Avalon.
- 4:45 pm* … Approximate Arrival Time in Downtown Long Beach.
There you have it! We did 4 activities, ate breakfast every morning, and still had time to relax during our two day visit to Catalina Island. You can too.
Disclosure: This is written by me for Catalina Island for entertainment purposes only. We received media rates. All opinions are our own. Information accurate at time of publishing and may change without notice. Please check company for most updated information before you travel.
MORE POSTS ABOUT CATALINA ISLAND: