It’s finally here! We were so excited to attend Media Preview Night for their first ever official global Hello Kitty convention – Hello Kitty Con! Fans from all over the world came to celebrate their favorite friend – Hello Kitty. Hello Kitty Con was created to celebrate her 40th anniversary and was held at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) in J-Town located in Downtown Los Angeles! It’s here through November 2nd, but oh no – it’s completely sold out! If you were lucky and scored tickets, here are some things that you need to know:
Special Meet and Greet!
We were so honored to meet with legendary Yuko Yamaguchi, the head designer of Hello Kitty! You can find her over by the Sanrio Signing Booth. She’s drawing, autographing, and available for photos! Other special guests include Misako Aoki (Japan’s Ambassador of Cute) and Masako Kojima (Sanrio Tokyo’s resident nail designer).
Art & Fashion
Get a first-hand look at Hello Kitty inspired art work and innovative fashion!
- Lovely Kitty Wonder curated by Stephiee Nguyen of JapanLA Clothing features bold fashion of Hello Kitty.
- FREE Hello Kitty ink is available first come, first serve at Hello Kitty Tattoo Shop by tattoo artists, Mario DESA, Dan Smith, Alex Strangler, and other guest artists. (Complimentary tattoos for 18 and older).
- Get an inside look from artists, Dabs Myla, Pose, and Globe Poster who have reinterpreted Hello Kitty‘s world in their unique style.
The Adventures of Hello Kitty and Bullseye
Sneak Peeks & First Looks
Convention attendees are getting first looks and sneak peeks!
- Hello Kitty Cafe Truck have artisan pastries, gourmet macaroons, cakes & doughnuts too cute to eat!
- Coming soon in 2015! You’re getting an exclusive first look at Sanrio’s first live entertainment show/musical – Hello Kitty’s Supercute Friendship Festival.
- You’ll want to visit with MakerBot and enter for a chance to win a MakerBot Replicator Mini-compact 3D Printer!
- A ticket to Hello Kitty Con also includes FREE same-day admission to the Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty exhibit at the Japanese American National Museum (JANM) next door! Exhibiting now through April 2015!
Attendees could shop limited edition products exclusive to the show in the Hello Kitty Friendship Station Pop-Up Shop (the official Hello Kitty store at the convention), Sanrio Vintage Shoppe, and Super SuperMarket! Exhibitors include:
- JapanLA is featuring their official launch of The Simpsons x Hello Kitty limited apparel.
- Dylan’s Candy Bar
- Chan Luu
- Sephora – Complimentary Make-overs!
- SPAM – Limited Ed. Musubi Kit
- Mighty Fine
- Ju-Ju-Be featuring HK diaper bags!
- BedHead Pajamas
- Beats by Dr. Dre will print out your Instagrams if you tag them!
- Party City is giving away HK balloons and a giant topper at the end of the event!
- MakerBot – 3D Printing!
- Upper Deck
- Cartwheel Kids, and more!
At Sanrio Vintage Shoppe, you’ll find authentic vintage Hello Kitty merchandise from the 70’s through the 90’s available for purchase! Located next door is the original coin purse on exhibit from 1974!
Disclosure: We attended a media preview. All opinions are our own. All images are by MaryKTran.
Stay Connected! Download the App!
Hello Kitty 40th Mobile App keeps you connected at the convention with schedule of panels, lectures, signings, newsfeeds, check-ins, and updates. Find it at iTunes and on Google Play!
For more information about Hello Kitty Con 2014, please visit their website at www.sanrio.com/hellokittycon/.
Happy 40th Anniversary, Hello Kitty!
We had the best night ever at Hello Kitty Con! There were some regrets the next day, because there were exclusive items to the convention that would have made great gifts for the holidays. In other words, more shopping! =) Thanks so much, Sanrio, for an unforgettable evening with all things Hello Kitty!