It’s the last month for the Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty at the Japanese American National Museum (JANM) in Los Angeles, California! If you’ve been waiting for the perfect opportunity to go, this Saturday, May 9th, 2015 is Target Free Family Saturdays. There is an additional fee to check out the exhibit, but at least getting into the museum is free PLUS you’ll get to enjoy all the special family fun activities scheduled for that day. See more below!
The original coin purse from 1975 which started it all sold for less than $1 back then is currently on display. Don’t miss the chance to see it in person!
The exhibit will take you through a timeline of Sanrio’s Hello Kitty throughout the years. If you grew up to Hello Kitty, you will recognize her in the year you were first introduced to her.
Walking through the Hello Kitty Exhibit is learning and appreciating how Hello Kitty evolves. You’ll learn things like Hello Kitty’s official full name is “Kitty White.” She has an identical twin sister named Mimmy who wears her bow on the right ear opposite of Hello Kitty. Hello Kitty is 5 apples tall, weighs 3 apples, and has blood type-A. Her birthday is November 1st, but she does not age. It’s very informative. You will also see various collections of Hello Kitty including fashion accessories, artwork, jewelry, sport gear, electronics, dishware, toys, toiletries, and more! It’s the largest collection of Hello Kitty everything displayed in one place, and it’s the first of it’s kind! Don’t miss it! It’s only there until May 31, 2015!
“May is a month of many celebrations. Join us as we commemorate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, and the final month of Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty.”
All Day Activities:
- Ruthie’s Origami Corner: Create a special Mother’s Day card.
- Memorial Day Messages: Write a heartfelt message to or about a veteran on our Wall of Appreciation.
- Flower Arrangement: Create a miniature ikebana-inspired flower arrangement in honor of Mother’s Day.
- Hello Kitty Crafts: Celebrate Hello Kitty while she’s still here at our temporary tattoo and paper doll stations.
- 11:30 AM: Join JANM volunteers who also happen to be veterans and hear their unique stories on a special Memorial Day Family Tour through Common Ground: The Heart of Community.
- 12:00 PM: Take in an energetic taiko drumming performance by Los Angeles Matsuri Taiko.
- 1:00 PM: Enjoy a Bollywood-style dance performance and learn about Indian folk dance traditions with the Bellytwins.
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Say goodbye to Hello Kitty in person, and take home a souvenir photo with her, courtesy of Nerdbot Photobooth.
- 2:00 PM: Join an exciting K-Pop Dance Workshop with Aimee Lee Lucas.
- 3:15 PM: Watch and participate in a lively dance performance that will incorporate traditions from Tahiti, Hawaii, and New Zealand. Presented by Island Inspirations.
Japanese American National Museum
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Admission to all activities and to Common Ground: The Heart of Community is FREE ALL DAY. Admission to the special exhibition, Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty, requires a separate purchase. All Hello! admissions are based on timed entry; obtaining tickets in advance is strongly recommended. Get tickets here!
Seniors (62 and over) $5
Students (with ID) and Youth (6-17) $5
Children 5 and under and JANM Members, Free.
*Free general admission every Thursday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and
all day every third Thursday of the month.
Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty
(October 11, 2014 – May 31, 2015)
$10 ages 6–17
Free for ages 5 and under and JANM members.
$7 ages 6–17