This activity is sponsored by Bounty.
To celebrate Despicable Me 3 now in theaters, the children and I made Minions out of cardboard tubes this weekend. It is really simple to do with just a few materials, and you can go crazy and make a village full of Minions. Start saving the cardboard tubes for this easy craft!
- Six (6) Cardboard Tubes (4 1/2″ x 1 3/4″ diam)
- Construction Paper in Yellow (2 sheets), Blue (1 sheet), and Black (1 sheet).
- Glue – You can use spray craft glue, rubber cement, glue sticks or even tape. Need fast drying goopy glue.
- Large Googly Eyes
- Black Marker
- Pack of Bounty with Despicable Me 3 prints paper towels or napkins for easy clean up.
- Cut the Yellow construction paper sheets into quarters (4.5” x 6”). 2 sheets of 9×12 makes 4.
- Cut the Blue construction paper in 2” x 6” strips. 1 sheet of 9×12 makes 8. You’ll only need 6 of them for the tubes and one of them for the strips for the overalls. Use the last one to cut out 6 pockets for overalls.
- Cut out 0.25” x 6” blue and black strips for the overalls and goggles.
- Cut out pockets for the overalls in the blue paper. Use one of the blue 2×6 strips.
- Cut out black circles for the eyes, then glue on the eyes. Allow time to dry. You’ll need about 6-12 depending on if your Minion will have one or two eyes.
- Glue the yellow paper onto the cardboard tubes.
- Glue on the blue paper onto the bottom half of the cardboard tubes.
- Glue on the black and blue strip.
- Glue on the eyes. Allow time to dry.
- Glue on the pockets.
- Personalize your Minion by drawing details on the overalls. Drawing hair, etc.
You can use any type of glue for this craft but I suggest a fast-drying glue. The children were anxious to get started so you might want to cut out the pieces ahead of time and possibly glue the big yellow and blue parts on first. The craft glue spray worked great on the tubes but not so much on the googly eyes.
To add a fun way to encourage the children to clean up their messes, pick up the new Bounty with Despicable Me 3 prints in both paper towels and quilted napkins. They are in stores for a limited time, I found some at Target!
Keep the celebration going by making plans to see Despicable Me 3 in theaters now. The film stars the voices of Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Trey Parker, Miranda Cosgrove and more! It’s rated PG and great for the WHOLE family. You can read about my movie review plus download free activity sheets here: letsplayoc.com/posts/despicable-me-movie-review.