If you’re a big fan of all things Boysenberry (the legendary fruit that’s a cross between a loganberry, raspberry, and blackberry), you’ll want to join the celebration at Knott’s Berry Farm’s Boysenberry Festival! The fruit is named after its originator Rudolf Boysen, and the Knott family was the first to successfully harvest and sell the boysenberry on the land that is now known as Knott’s Berry Farm. It’s the perfect place to celebrate. This year, the festival is over three weeks (March 16- April 8) featuring over 75 boysenberry inspired dishes, drinks and more. For 24 days, everyone can indulge in yummy eats and stay to play with live entertainment, new shows, pie eating contests, meet the Easter Beagle and PEANUTS gang, new Old MacDonald petting zoo, line dancing, mingle with the Ghost Town townsfolk, a nighttime dance party, and of course, roller-coaster rides because it’s included with park admissions. (Additional cost for tastings). There is something for everyone, and if you want more boysenberry, stop into the Berry Market and shop their boysenberry selections like Boysenberry BBQ sauce, Boysenberry Butter, Boysenberry Dressing and Boysenberry Chipotle Sauce available in the California Market Place and General Store located in Ghost Town.
Photo Courtesy of Knott’s Berry Farm.
FOOD AND WINE FESTIVAL!
As mentioned, there are about 75 boysenberry offerings that can be found throughout the park like an all new Boyseberry Boba Tea, Boysenberry Quesadilla, slow-cooked Boysenberry Short Ribs with Jasmine Rice, Boysenberry Flautas, Boysenberry Elote with Boysenberry Butter and Boysenberry Mayo, Grilled Sausage on a Bun (with Boysenberry Ketchup, Boysenberry Relish, and Boysenberry Mustard), Chocolate Covered Boysenberry Cheesecake on a Stick, Boysenberry Pierogies, Boysenberry Chicken Wings, Fun Bun and Fun Stick, Boysenberry Humus with Pita Bread, Boysenberry Coconut Macaroons, Boysenberry Frappuccino and Latte, and more! HINT: Located inside of Ghost Town’s Wilderness Dance Hall is an assortment of wine and craft brews (a tasting fee will apply).
A great option to indulge in a variety of new and returning food items during the festival is by purchasing a tasting card priced at $30 which offers 8 of the new food options per card; guests can select any 8 items of their choice. Returning and other signature boysenberry items will be available for purchase a la carte. Tasting cards are available at Knotts.com or in the theme park.
- The Old MacDonald Petting Zoo pays tribute to one of Knott’s original attractions. Young ones and young at heart are invited to cozy up to the cutest critters on the farm including horses, sheep, goats and other furry friends.
- Join Snoopy, Charlie and the entire PEANUTS gang as they present an all new interactive, musical revue called Snoopy’s Boysenberry Jamboree! at the Calico Mine Stage. This new show will have families singing, dancing, and playing along with the beloved Peanuts characters and talented performers during the whimsical, high energy celebration of springtime.
- Meet the Easter Beagle in Camp Snoopy as well as other PEANUTS friends and stay for a sing along at the theater.
- Country music will fill the air as the Ghost Town Miners take the stage in a fun, musical performance at the Firemen’s BBQ stage.
- For the first time in over 20 years, the Legendary Bird Cage Theatre will be the home of musical comedy melodrama, with a special presentation of the Old Time Melodrama. America’s longest running Melodrama returns with an original, interactive, comedy and a surprising boysenberry twist!
- In the evening, a group of krazy talented performers will have guests kicking up their heels with vine dancing, a down home jug band and dueling fiddlers and banjos! At the Wagon Camp stage, get crazy when Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies mount their toe tappin’, knee-slappin’, gut-bustin’ country comedy show that will have audiences clamoring for more, then
- Dance the night away with DJ Cruz in Fiesta Village!
Knott’s Berry Market
Need more boysenberry? Take home limited edition merchandise that can be found throughout the park, such as a new boysenberry bath and body line including soaps, salt soaks, bath bombs, lip balms (introducing three new flavors) and candles. New to the festival this year is Knott’s sugar-free boysenberry concentrate (a low calorie, no sugar version of Knott’s popular drink), a wide selection of boysenberry chocolates including boysenberry versions of milk chocolate bars, truffles, caramel squares, peanut butter and jelly cups. New and exclusive to Knott’s Berry Farm this year is the all-new boysenberry Jelly Belly. The Knott’s Berry Market also features signature boysenberry items like the boysenberry BBQ sauce or the classic jams and preserves. Unique boysenberry inspired products with a homemade twist will also be available as the Craft Fair returns offering a variety of products like boysenberry cashew nut brittle, boysenberry pie shaped homemade accessories and more.
Boysenberry Festival 2018
March 16- April 8, 2018
KNOTT’S BERRY FARM
8039 Beach Boulevard
Buena Park, CA
EXTENDED PARK HOURS: 10 am to 10 pm
The Boysenberry Festival is included with admission to Knott’s Berry Farm. Additional costs apply for food tasting experiences within the event. Knott’s will have extended hours on select days March 16 – April 8, allowing guests extra time to take advantage of all of the limited-time offerings.
Here’s a little cool history of Knott’s Berry Farm that you may or may not already know. Walter and Cordelia Knott moved to Buena Park California in 1920 to farm 20 acres of rented land which included harvesting and selling the first boysenberry named after its originator, Rudolph Boysen. A recreated original roadside boysenberry stand where the Knott family sold freshly picked boysenberries can be found on the streets of Ghost Town. Learn more below!