IMAGINOLOGY is an annual family-friendly event at the OC Fair & Event Center which focuses on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math). It’s the perfect place for curious children that are interested in exploring any of those areas. They’ll have the opportunity to explore the possibilities as they learn by doing at a variety of workshops and exhibits. For three days (April 12-14, 2019), explore STEAM through hands-on activities, exhibits, arts and crafts, competitions, and more! Admission is FREE and most activities are included. Get the details below!
Family-friendly activities and competitions for Imaginology include:
- NEW e-sports gaming: Imaginology’s new e-Playground will feature an e-sports tournament for high school students, free-to-play PCs with STEAM games, and a parent and educator panel with industry professionals to discuss misconceptions about video games and share facts. Careers in the esports/gaming field will be emphasized.
- Workshops and makeshops: Students can participate in activities including woodworking, sewing, creative crafting, tech play, ceramics, sun prints and more. Local professionals and Imaginology staff lead the demonstrations and all necessary equipment and supplies are provided. Participants can take home the crafts and artwork they create.
- Youth competitions: Budding scientists and artists will showcase their talents in photography, videography, fiber arts, fine art, poetry, science and engineering divisions. Competitions include 3-D printing, computer-generated art, fashion design, drawing, kinetic art, jewelry making, clay crafting, wood and metal art and more. All competitions are free to enter and open to Orange County students. The deadline for online entry submissions is March 22.
- Cultural celebration returns: Día del Niño, Day of the Child, will be back for a second year at Imaginology on Saturday and Sunday, bringing an additional day of interactive arts workshops and performances by professional artists, local arts organizations, schools and community groups. Dia Del Nino is presented in collaboration with Arts Orange County and Media Arts Santa Ana.
- Free on-site creative contests: Family members and friends can team up at Imaginology to compete in an on-site contest to decorate the best scarecrow on Saturday, April 13. Kids can enter the steampunk hat contest on Sunday, April 14. There are awards and prize money. It’s free to enter and basic materials will be provided but people are encouraged to bring their own decorations to make their entry special. Visit ocfair.com/steam for details.
- Centennial Farm: Imaginology visitors can check out animals and crops on the three-acre working farm and enjoy free tractor rides, an oxen exhibit, blacksmithing, sheep-shearing demonstrations, radish-seed planting, terrarium-making and the OC Beekeepers exhibit.
- 4-H competitions: Local youth are judged on their abilities to raise small livestock, their understanding of animal and veterinary sciences and their projects on community service, aerospace, electricity and more.
- Vital Link STEM + the Arts Career Showcase: Vital Link provides resources to help students discover and consider professional careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering or mathematics with exciting displays, workshops and competitions.
- More free activities: Exhibitors will offer things to do and see including Wild Science Activity Area and family-friendly entertainment. Also new this year is Fort Blisters Boot Camp, located near Heroes Hall, where kids can enjoy fun physical activities.
April 12-14, 2019
Friday 9 am – 3 pm
Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
OC Fair & Event Center
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, California
Admission is free and most activities are included. Parking is free on Friday; $8 on Saturday and Sunday. Friday is field trip day and is open to the public. Schools and large groups of 10 or more are encouraged to register, but it is not required. Imaginology is easily accessible from the 55, 405 and 73 freeways and from the OCTA 47, 55 and 178 bus lines. Food will be available for purchase at the event.