Post written in collaboration with OC Fair. All opinions are our own.
IMAGINOLOGY is an annual free community event at the OC Fair & Event Center which focuses on S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math). It is the perfect place for curious children that are interested in exploring any of those areas. They will have the opportunity to explore the possibilities as they learn by doing at a variety of workshops and exhibits. For three days (April 17-19, 2020), explore S.T.E.A.M. through hands-on activities, exhibits, arts and crafts, competitions, and more! Admission is FREE and most activities are included. Get the details below!
More than 40,000 parents, educators and children are expected to attend, as well as more than 100 exhibitors will present opportunities for kids to experience activities intended to engage and educate, highlighting future paths of study and career options in these fields (robotics, LEGO engineering, animal husbandry and art). Demonstrations will include virtual reality experiences, coding and PC building. There will also be face painting, wild science experiments and games for all ages.
- Imaginology competitions are open for entries. Categories include digital art, cardboard engineering, photography, poetry and fashion. The deadline to enter is March 27. During Imaginology there will be onsite contests for steampunk hat decorating an scarecrow making. Learn more at ocfair.com/imaginology/competitions-contests
- This year the eSports Playground will expand with the addition of Aeris, a technology company that will join eSports Management Group in the game discovery and education area. Kindness Connection is a new awareness gallery aimed at teaching kids the importance of being kind to others. OC Fair & Event Center is partnering with the Orange County Department of Education and the Beyond Differences organization to share kindness initiatives established in California schools. Topics covered include cyber bulling, how to know your classmates better, breaking out of cliques and more. There will be fun activities to help motivate kids to meet new friends, make kindness pledges and keep journals.
- Last year a Sensory Room was added to Imaginology to give children and families who need a quiet place to decompress a place to go. This year, sensory bags with noise-canceling headphones and fidget toys will be available for loan at no charge.
- Also new to Imaginology this year is a Reading Corner presented by the Costa Mesa nonprofit Think Together, an organization working to improve educational opportunities for all students. The Reading Corner will feature readings at the top of the hour and interactive play geared toward preschoolers and kindergartners. A book drive will be held during Imaginology to benefit Think Together and guests are invited to bring new or gently used K-12 books to donate to help others.
- Returning favorites include Dia del Nino, a cultural festival celebrating children and the arts put on by Arts OC and Media Arts Santa Ana. Entertainment, art activities, dance and more will be featured on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Vital Link will also be back with its RobotOC Competition, career exploration, speaker series, leadership workshops and more.
April 17-19, 2020
- Friday 9 am – 3 pm
- Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
- Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
OC Fair & Event Center
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, California
Admission is free and most activities are included. Parking is Free on Friday. Friday is also field trip day (teachers are encouraged to register in advance). There is a $10 parking charge on Saturday and Sunday. Heroes Hall and Centennial Farm are both open during Imaginology and will feature S.T.E.A.M. activities. Imaginology is easily accessible from the 55, 405 and 73 freeways and from the OCTA 47, 55 and 178 bus lines. Food will be available for purchase at the event.