Moompetam Native American Festival
EVENT DATES: Saturday, September 21, 2019 (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM) and Sunday, September 22, 2019 (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM).
In celebration of local Native American cultures, the Aquarium of the Pacific will host its fifteenth annual Moompetam Festival. This weekend celebration will feature traditional cultural crafts, storytelling, educational programs, live demonstrations, music, and dance celebrating California’s indigenous maritime cultures, including Tongva, Chumash, Acjachemen, Costanoan, Luiseno, and Kumeyaay.
COST: Included with Aquarium admissions. Included with general admission to guests. Free to Aquarium members; 20% off for their guests. Save $10 OFF Adult Admissions with this mobile coupon >> http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/offer/fest1. All programs subject to change and weather dependent. For more information about this event, please visit the festival’s web page: www.aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/moompetam/
Cultural Demonstrations and Activities
- Tongva Soapstone Necklaces – Julia Bogany
- Blas Aguilar Adobe Museum – Juaneno Cultural Museum –Domingo Belardes
- Tongva Hunting and Warriors Materials – Kevin Nunez
- Tongva Traditional Acorn Display – Charlotte Nunez
- Kitanemuk Chumash Yowlumne Tejon Indians Basket Weaving – Dee Dominguez
- Chumash Cultural Display – Alan Salazar
- Children’s Game Activities – Trish Rios
- Chumash Cultural Display with Children’s Craft – Oscar Ortiz
- Ti’at Tongva Plank Canoe Display – The Moomat Ahiko (Breath of the Ocean): Traditional Tongva plank canoe presented by the Ti’at Society.
- Tomol Chumash Plank Canoe Display – Chumash Maritime Association / Ray Ward
- Round Reed Basket Weaving – Lorene Sisquoc and Cindi Alvitre
- Coastal Native American Cultural Materials – Heidi Lucero
- Kumeyaay Cultural Activities – Stan Rodriguez
- Tule Dolls Workshop – Gloria Liggett – 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Heritage Award Presentation
Sunday 1:40 p.m. honoring Christopher Diaza Rafflecopter giveaway
Baja Splash Cultural Festival
EVENT DATES: Saturday, September 28, 2019 (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM) and Sunday, September 29, 2019 (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
In celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month, the Aquarium of the Pacific will host its eighteenth annual Baja Splash Cultural Festival featuring live entertainment, crafts, educational programs, and special activities. This Aquarium weekend festival celebrates the beauty and diversity of Latino cultures through song, dance, art, and cultural displays. Younger guests and their families are invited to visit The Bernadett Family Early Childhood Education Open House to engage with activities specifically designed for preschool students.
COST: Included with general admission to guests. Free to Aquarium members; 20% off for their guests. Save $10 Off Adult Admission with this mobile coupon >> http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/offer/fest2. All programs subject to change and weather dependent. For more information about this event, please visit the festival’s web page:
Southeast Asia Day
EVENT DATE: Saturday, October 5, 2019 (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
One of the most ethnically diverse cities in the nation, Long Beach is home to the largest population of Cambodians outside of Southeast Asia. Southern California also has vibrant communities from Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, and Myanmar. Visitors can experience the traditional dance and other cultural practices from these countries during the festival. Live performances of traditional music and dance, and cultural craft demonstrations and displays, will help transform the Aquarium into an international destination during its fifteenth annual Southeast Asia Day. During the festival children can participate in arts and crafts. Through this unique annual event, the Aquarium celebrates its long-running connection with the local Southeast Asian communities.
COST: Included with general admission to guests. Free to Aquarium members; 20% off for their guests. Save $10 off Adult Admission with this mobile coupon: www.aquariumofpacific.org/offer/fest3. For more information, please visit the festival’s web page: www.aquariumofpacific.org/events/info/southeast_asia_day/a Rafflecopter giveaway